last update on May 05, 2022

Help for Ukraine MKK

The war in Ukraine is forcing many thousands of people to flee. They are looking for help and protection, also in our region on the Main and Kinzig rivers. Of course, the Main-Kinzig district (henceforth: Main-Kinzig-Kreis), the city of Hanau and the other cities and communities in the district accept this task. However, they need the participation of the citizens in order to enable the people from Ukraine not only to find accommodation, but also to arrive in everyday life. Ukrainehilfe MKK is intended to provide orientation on how those willing to help can get involved and where those seeking help can turn.

(This page will be regularly updated and extended).

Information: Changes as of 1 June

As of 1 June, some legal changes will come into effect for the care and support of Ukrainian displaced persons. People from Ukraine will then no longer receive assistance throughout Germany under the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act (Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz), but under the Social Code (Sozialgesetzbuch). The Main-Kinzig district is preparing a transition with the least possible hassle and utmost reliability for those affected. From June onwards, different legal requirements will apply in some cases. For these, certain documents will have to be filled out in addition to the online registration or the personal visit to the Foreigners' Authority. Wherever possible, the next steps will be taken entirely online and via this website.

The most important questions regarding the changes will be answered on this page shortly.

Help and get help

As dynamic as the situation in Ukraine is, as dynamic are the needs for help where refugees arrive.

If you can provide an apartment for refugees from Ukraine, please contact the Main-Kinzig-Kreis via this online form .

If you would like to provide paid employment in your company or are interested in a direct meeting, please get in touch via this online form or via the email address

If you would like to use your good language skills in Ukrainian or Russian to translate for Ukrainian people when needed, please contact the Main-Kinzig-Kreis via this address:

If you have donations in kind to hand in, please pay attention to the appeals of the German Red Cross Hanau and the German Red Cross Gelnhausen-Schlüchtern, through which the collections in the Main-Kinzig-Kreis are conducted. The collection point of the DRK Hanau is open in Hanau (Am Hauptbahnhof 14d) from Monday to Saturday from 8 am to 8 pm.

If you want to donate money you can find information here: >>Help for the people in Ukraine |

If you can offer further help, please contact the Main-Kinzig-Kreis via this address:

The war in Ukraine is forcing more and more people to flee. They are also seeking accommodation in our region. In the Main-Kinzig-Kreis, a contact point has been created to provide, procure and arrange private housing for Ukrainians who have fled. Anyone who has vacant accommodation in the Main-Kinzig-Kreis and would like to make it available in the medium term - i.e. for three months or more - for persons who have fled Ukraine is welcome to register with the Main-Kinzig-Kreis using an online form. To the registration form for accommodations.

What is being sought?

  • Flats
  • House / Houses
  • Holiday flats
  • Hotels or flats

The Main-Kinzig-Kreis kindly asks for your understanding that at the moment only housing that is available in the medium term ( for three months or more) can be offered to the refugees. The refugees need time to arrive, to get their bearings and to find some peace after terrible experiences. Therefore, the Main-Kinzig-Kreis cannot expect them to move again after a very short period of time, along with all the uncertainties that would go with it. For the same reason, only flats or separate housing units can be arranged at the moment. Temporary shared accommodation in the same household cannot be considered at the moment.

If you have any questions about the necessary registration steps, accommodation, health insurance and other topics, you may contact the Main-Kinzig-Kreis at the e-mail address In addition, for more general issues about residence, accommodation, social benefits and support in the Main-Kinzig-Kreis, an information hotline is available at 06051 85-18000.

If a person or a group of persons on their way from Ukraine towards the Main-Kinzig district does not yet know definitively where they may find private and permanent lodging, they have to contact the Hessian Initial Reception Centre, regardless of the size of the group: Gießen arrival center, Lilienthalstraße 2, 35394 Gießen; more information:
Aktuelles zur Aufnahme von Flüchtlingen aus der Ukraine | Regierungspräsidium Gießen (

If you need social benefits or have any questions about them, you can contact us via e-mail at or via the Help for Ukraine phone number 06051-8518000 or you can indicate this when you initially register at the Foreigners' Authority (see Initial Registration at the Foreigners' Authority / Residence Permit).

General information on entry, residence, health, work and much more can be found on germany4ukraine (in German, Ukrainian, Russian and English).

The Consulate General in Frankfurt can be reached by phone at 069 29720920 and by e-mail at

A picture dictionary for free download, recommended by Duden-Verlag, can be found here: Bilderwörterbuch in Ukrainisch von Carlotta Klee und der TüftelAkademie (

FAQ for refugees from Ukraine

People who have fled from Ukraine to the Main-Kinzig-Kreis and have found permanent accommodation must first register at the town hall of their new place of residence. Only when this has been done they can register with the Main-Kinzig-Kreis. They will be offered an appointment in a timely manner. There they can complete their registration successfully. Without registering with the city or municipality where they permanently reside, registration will be significantly delayed.

Important: If it is already determined before registration that residence in a private accommodation cannot be ensured over a longer period of time, registration with the Main-Kinzig-Kreis is not advisable. These persons have to go to the Hessian Initial Reception Center in Gießen as their central contact point (Gießen arrival center, Lilienthalstraße 2, 35394 Gießen; more information: Aktuelles zur Aufnahme von Flüchtlingen aus der Ukraine | Regierungspräsidium Gießen ( )

The initial registration for all people who have fled Ukraine and who are staying visa-free and legally in the Federal Republic of Germany for the first 90 days since their entry is possible in the Main-Kinzig-Kreis using an online form.

>> To the initial registration

You will automatically receive an appointment for a personal interview at the Foreigners' Authority within the next few weeks using the contact data you provided during your initial registration. This appointment is about officially granting you a temporary residence (according to § 24 Abs. 1 AufenthG). The Main-Kinzig-Kreis would like to spare you and the other refugees unnecessary time waiting and help you quickly and well prepared. This requires such a coordinated approach with appointments. Therefore, no appointment request is necessary on your side. Please also refrain from personal visits without an appointment and from inquiries by telephone about upcoming appointments.

Anyone who arrives from Ukraine and seeks protection in Germany will receive it. Those who do not know where they can find accommodation for the near future will have to contact the Hessian Initial Reception Center in Gießen (Gießen arrival center, Lilienthalstraße 2, 35394 Gießen; more information: Aktuelles zur Aufnahme von Flüchtlingen aus der Ukraine | Regierungspräsidium Gießen ( ). Those who already have a permanent accommodation definitely - for example, can live with friends and relatives for a longer period of time - should contact us quickly after moving in. For further support and assistance, it is important that people first report to the town hall of the municipality where they reside permanently. Once this has been done, the second step is to register with the foreigners authority. Only with registration can further support services be provided (see “Initial registration with the foreigners authority”).

If you intend to move to the Main-Kinzig-Kreis, you need to consider the following items:

  • In general, a move is not possible unless you have the prior approval of the Main-Kinzig-Kreis.
  • For a move to the Main-Kinzig-Kreis, permanent accommodation has to be guaranteed.
  • Please send your relocation request with all available attachments to

If you are not yet registered in the Main-Kinzig district and do not have permanent accommodation, please contact the central Hessian initial reception centre in Gießen first (Ankunftszentrum Gießen, Lilienthalstraße 2, 35394 Gießen). For further information click here: Aktuelles zur Aufnahme von Flüchtlingen aus der Ukraine | Regierungspräsidium Gießen . This is where you can also indicate your connection to the Main-Kinzig-Kreis. For example, that a family member lives in the district. This will be taken into account accordingly in the further allocation by the state of Hesse.

Have you received your notice of allocation from the Darmstadt Regional Council (Regierungspräsidium Darmstadt)? It is not necessary to present yourself, even if it is stated on the notification.

If you need social benefits or have questions about them, you can contact us by mail at or by phone at the number of Help for Ukraine 06051-8518000.

Corresponding information may also be indicated during the initial registration at the Foreigners' Authority (see Initial Registration at the Foreigners' Authority / Residence Permit). Currently, the Main-Kinzig-Kreis is additionally preparing the possibility to apply for social benefits via the town halls in the municipalities.

The Consulate General in Frankfurt can be reached by phone at 069 29720920 or by email at

The Main-Kinzig-Kreis can assist if questions arise regarding medical care or health insurance. The best way is to send an e-mail to In urgent cases, the emergency number 112 should be dialed.

In larger central accommodations, medical consultations and initial consultations are held for the people on site. Appointments and further information are available directly at the accommodations.

>> Information on health in several languages

People who are living with HIV or are undergoing opioid substitution therapy may find more information (in German, Ukrainian and Russian) on the website of Deutsche Aidshilfe: Україна: допомога біженцям | Deutsche Aidshilfe

>>Vaccination calendar in ukranian (PDF)

The Main-Kinzig-Kreis has prepared a uniform procedure to test refugees for coronavirus upon arrival, provided they are received and accommodated through the district. Information in Ukrainian on Corona and other medical issues is currently being prepared.

In the Main-Kinzig-Kreis, refugees from Ukraine can get vaccinated against the corona virus at all vaccination centers. There is information available on >>Impfung - Dein Pflaster in Ukrainian. You will also find the necessary vaccination documents as well as the addresses and opening hours of the vaccination centers.

The vaccines CoronaVac from Sinovac, Covilo from Sinopharm, and Covaxin from Bharat Biotech International Ltd. as well as Sputnik V from Gamelaya are not licensed in the EU. For people who have been fully immunised against the coronavirus with one of these vaccines (twice or with a booster vaccination already), the German Standing Commission on Vaccination (Stiko) recommends a single vaccination with an mRNA vaccine at an interval of at least three months after the last vaccination. The mRNA vaccines licensed in the EU are Comirnaty by Biontech (also for children five years and older) and Spikevax by Moderna (Stiko recommendation: 30 years and older).

For people who have only received one dose of one of the above-mentioned vaccines not licensed in the EU, the Stiko recommends a new vaccination series with basic vaccination and booster vaccination. This also applies to persons who have received another vaccine not licensed in the EU.

Refugees from Ukraine can use all buses and trains of the local public transport system (ÖPNV) free of charge. In the RMV area (Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund). This applies to all local trains, i.e. suburban trains, regional trains and regional express trains as well as to the underground, trams and buses. A valid Ukrainian identity document is accepted as a ticket. For an onward journey on long-distance trains, the >>helpukraine ticket of Deutsche Bahn is available.

What do I have to consider when entering Germany with a dog, cat or ferret?
Dogs, cats and ferrets are only allowed to enter Germany if they have been vaccinated against rabies and this has been confirmed by a blood test (titer determination) and thus a valid vaccination protection exists. In order to be able to clearly identify the animals, they must be marked with a corresponding microchip under the skin, which can be read with a scanner. The chip number has to be entered in the vaccination certificate.

For the time being, the conditions for entry from the Ukraine have been eased, so that at present it is not necessary to determine the titer of animals that have been verifiably vaccinated.

Nevertheless, please register your animal with the Office of Veterinary Affairs and Consumer Protection (Veterinary Office).: >> registration form .

My dog, cat, ferret has not been vaccinated or I cannot prove valid vaccination protection (no microchip, no vaccination certificate) - what do I have to do?
The animal must be reported to and registered with the Office of Veterinary Affairs and Consumer Protection (Veterinary Office). There are relevant papers to be filled out for this purpose: >>registration form . The Veterinary Office will make sure that the animal is uniquely marked with a microchip, arrange for the issuing of a pet passport in which the microchip number is entered, and arrange for the rabies vaccination so that the animal and its owner are protected. For the time being, this will not result in any costs for you.

My animal has been chipped and vaccinated on entry/arrival - what happens next?
Rabies is a fatal disease which can affect both animals and humans. It is not curable. The incubation period (time from infection to outbreak of the disease) can be very long (up to three months). The symptoms can be very weak until shortly before the animal dies, so that the owners of the animals do not realise anything about it, but are in great danger.

Unfortunately, Ukraine is not yet free of rabies like Germany. Therefore, it can never be entirely excluded that pets have been infected with rabies in Ukraine.

A vaccination is only fully effective after 21 days. Therefore, animals that have entered the country without verifiable vaccination protection and were only vaccinated upon entry must be quarantined for 21 days.

How does quarantine work for my pet?
When accommodated in a group accommodation, your animal can usually be accommodated in the very same compartment with you or in a nearby quarantine container. In rare cases (e.g. if keeping animals in the accommodation is not allowed and/or no container is available), your animal has to be accommodated in a shelter or boarding kennel for the duration of the quarantine. In any case, you will receive your animal back after 21 days. You can be clearly identified as the owner by the chip and chip number in the pet passport. During the stay in the quarantine facility, the animal will be cared for, fed and, if necessary, treated by a veterinarian.

The federal German government and the state governments have agreed on a standardized, structured procedure. When people from Ukraine come to Germany or to our region and do not know where they can find private accommodation for a longer period of time, they must report to central initial reception facilities. For the Main-Kinzig-Kreis, this is the Hessian Initial Reception Center in Gießen (Gießen arrival center, Lilienthalstraße 2, 35394 Gießen; more information: Aktuelles zur Aufnahme von Flüchtlingen aus der Ukraine | Regierungspräsidium Gießen ( It is thus not possible for private aid initiatives to directly approach known large facilities in the Main-Kinzig-Kreis in order to accommodate refugees there on the off chance.

If the refugees are not Ukrainian nationals, they are not formally admitted as war displaced persons, but can be accepted as asylum seekers at the initial reception center in Gießen (Gießen arrival center, Lilienthalstraße 2, 35394 Gießen; more information: Aktuelles zur Aufnahme von Flüchtlingen aus der Ukraine | Regierungspräsidium Gießen ( ).

Such actions are not organized by the Main-Kinzig-Kreis.

On presentation of your valid biometric ID and the registration certificate of the municipality in which you permanently reside, it is possible to open a current account (basic account) at a bank of your choice. A basic account is a payment account with basic functions, such as cash deposits and withdrawals or money transfers.

Some banks do not charge account maintenance fees for the current accounts of people who have fled Ukraine. Please enquire about the terms and conditions yourself at your local branch or via the respective website. The same also applies to issues such as the possible passing on of negative interests on account balances.

To register your child or children for school, please contact the Admissions and Counseling Center of the State Education Authorities (Staatliches Schulamt), phone 06181 9062 343, or email

The State Education Authorities offer further information on support for immigrant families and refugees.

The Hessian State Government is helping to ensure that Ukrainian children and juveniles who have fled receive learning offerings at school as quickly as possible .

To register your child or children to attend kindergarten, please contact the relevant municipal or city administration of your current residence. Here you will find information on the cities and municipalities in the Main-Kinzig-Kreis .

Measles vaccination: Children attending kindergarten or school have to provide proof that they have been fully vaccinated against measles. Alternatively, they have to prove by a medical certificate that they have already had the disease.

Ukrainian children under 6 years of age whose vaccine protection is unclear or whose vaccination cannot be proven by a vaccination certificate ought to be vaccinated against measles at least once. Only then can they go to a child-care institution.

For the time being, school-age Ukrainian children are allowed to go to school without a proven measles vaccination, but the vaccination should be given as soon as possible.

Further information on measles and the measles vaccination is provided by the Federal Centre for Health Education in Ukrainian

 Contact to Main-Kinzig-Kreis


Fon: 06051 85-18000