last update on May 24, 2022

Help for Ukraine MKK

The war in Ukraine is forcing many thousands of people to flee. They are looking for help and protection, also in our region on the Main and Kinzig rivers. Of course, the Main-Kinzig district (henceforth: Main-Kinzig-Kreis), the city of Hanau and the other cities and communities in the district accept this task. However, they need the participation of the citizens in order to enable the people from Ukraine not only to find accommodation, but also to arrive in everyday life. Ukrainehilfe MKK is intended to provide orientation on how those willing to help can get involved and where those seeking help can turn.

(This page will be regularly updated and extended).

Information: Changes as of 1 June

As of 1 June, some legal changes will come into effect for the care and support of Ukrainian displaced persons. People from Ukraine will then no longer receive assistance throughout Germany under the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act (Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz), but under the Social Code (Sozialgesetzbuch). The Main-Kinzig district is preparing a transition with the least possible hassle and utmost reliability for those affected. From June onwards, different legal requirements will apply in some cases. For these, certain documents will have to be filled out in addition to the online registration or the personal visit to the Foreigners' Authority. Wherever possible, the next steps will be taken entirely online and via this website.

See FAQ list: "More information on changes as of 1 June 2022".

Help and get help

As dynamic as the situation in Ukraine is, as dynamic are the needs for help where refugees arrive.

If you can provide an apartment for refugees from Ukraine, please contact the Main-Kinzig-Kreis via this online form .

If you would like to provide paid employment in your company or are interested in a direct meeting, please get in touch via this online form or via the email address

If you would like to use your good language skills in Ukrainian or Russian to translate for Ukrainian people when needed, please contact the Main-Kinzig-Kreis via this address:

If you have donations in kind to hand in, please pay attention to the appeals of the German Red Cross Hanau and the German Red Cross Gelnhausen-Schlüchtern, through which the collections in the Main-Kinzig-Kreis are conducted. The collection point of the DRK Hanau is open in Hanau (Am Hauptbahnhof 14d) from Monday to Saturday from 8 am to 8 pm.

If you want to donate money you can find information here: >>Help for the people in Ukraine |

If you can offer further help, please contact the Main-Kinzig-Kreis via this address:

The war in Ukraine is forcing more and more people to flee. They are also seeking accommodation in our region. In the Main-Kinzig-Kreis, a contact point has been created to provide, procure and arrange private housing for Ukrainians who have fled. Anyone who has vacant accommodation in the Main-Kinzig-Kreis and would like to make it available in the medium term - i.e. for three months or more - for persons who have fled Ukraine is welcome to register with the Main-Kinzig-Kreis using an online form. To the registration form for accommodations.

What is being sought?

  • Flats
  • House / Houses
  • Holiday flats
  • Hotels or flats

The Main-Kinzig-Kreis kindly asks for your understanding that at the moment only housing that is available in the medium term ( for three months or more) can be offered to the refugees. The refugees need time to arrive, to get their bearings and to find some peace after terrible experiences. Therefore, the Main-Kinzig-Kreis cannot expect them to move again after a very short period of time, along with all the uncertainties that would go with it. For the same reason, only flats or separate housing units can be arranged at the moment. Temporary shared accommodation in the same household cannot be considered at the moment.

Please note: As of 1 June, some legal changes will come into effect for the care and support of Ukrainian displaced persons. The Main-Kinzig district has been preparing for these changes in the background for weeks. The district will provide information on this site as soon as the law has been passed and further consequences have been clarified. The reliability of care and support will not change after 1 June. Until 31 May, the following continues to apply: If you have any questions about the necessary registration steps, accommodation, health insurance and other issues, you are welcome to contact the Main-Kinzig-Kreis at In addition, there is an information hotline available for more general questions about residence, accommodation, social benefits and support in the Main-Kinzig district at 06051-8518000.

If a person or a group of persons on their way from Ukraine towards the Main-Kinzig district does not yet know definitively where they may find private and permanent lodging, they have to contact the Hessian Initial Reception Centre, regardless of the size of the group: Gießen arrival center, Lilienthalstraße 2, 35394 Gießen; more information:
Aktuelles zur Aufnahme von Flüchtlingen aus der Ukraine | Regierungspräsidium Gießen (

If you need social benefits or have any questions about them, you can contact us via e-mail at or via the Help for Ukraine phone number 06051-8518000 or you can indicate this when you initially register at the Foreigners' Authority (see Initial Registration at the Foreigners' Authority / Residence Permit).

General information on entry, residence, health, work and much more can be found on germany4ukraine (in German, Ukrainian, Russian and English).

The Consulate General in Frankfurt can be reached by phone at 069 29720920 and by e-mail at

A picture dictionary for free download, recommended by Duden-Verlag, can be found here: Bilderwörterbuch in Ukrainisch von Carlotta Klee und der TüftelAkademie (

FAQ for refugees from Ukraine

For the time until 31 May 2022, the following applies to initial registration: People who have fled from Ukraine to the Main-Kinzig-Kreis and have moved into permanent accommodation must first register at the town hall of their new place of residence. Once this is done, they can register with the district and receive an appointment in a timely manner. There they can successfully complete their registration. Without registering with the city or municipality where they permanently reside, registration will be delayed.

An online form for notification and registration after 1 June is currently being prepared along legal lines. Ukrainian refugees who already receive benefits under the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act (Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz) before 1 June 2022 will automatically be informed by the Main-Kinzig-Kreis about the changes and all necessary further steps.

Important: Those who come from Ukraine and cannot move directly into a private flat for a longer period of time should not initially register with the Main-Kinzig Kreis. These persons must go to the Hessian Initial Reception Centre Gießen as the central point of contact (Ankunftszentrum Gießen, Lilienthalstraße 2, 35394 Gießen; more information here: Aktuelles zur Aufnahme von Flüchtlingen aus der Ukraine | Regierungspräsidium Gießen ( )

The initial registration for all people who have fled Ukraine and who are staying visa-free and legally in the Federal Republic of Germany for the first 90 days since their entry is possible in the Main-Kinzig-Kreis using an online form.

>> To the initial registration

Anyone who registers as a Ukrainian refugee in Germany after 1 June 2022 can apply for benefits if they lack financial means. In order to transfer funds, a German bank account is required. The Main-Kinzig-Kreis therefore recommends opening a bank account and furthermore getting insured with a health insurance company.

The background to this is a legal change that will come into effect throughout Germany. An online application for those affected from Ukraine will be published here shortly. Ukrainian refugees who already receive benefits under the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act (Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz) before 1 June 2022 will be contacted automatically and informed about further steps that need to be taken.

As of 1 June, Ukrainian displaced persons are required to have a German bank account in order to receive funds. If you do not have health insurance cover in Germany, you can take out insurance with a health insurance company.

Regarding a bank account: Upon presentation of a valid biometric ID or a residence permit with photo and the registration certificate of the municipality in which the person permanently resides, it is possible to open an account at a bank of one's choice.

Regarding health insurance: Whether someone has to take care of being covered by health insurance on their own or whether this is taken care of by the Main-Kinzig-Kreis depends, among other things, on their age. For the majority of people from Ukraine it means that they have to take care of it themselves (people of working age and their families). The responsible authority in the Main-Kinzig-Kreis can provide assistance. For more information, see "Further information on changes from 1 June 2022".

Refugees from Ukraine can exchange up to 10,000 hryvnia into euros in Germany at participating German banks and savings banks. The currency exchange can be done in several partial sums and is to be free of charge. Banknotes of 100, 200, 500 and 1,000 Hryvnia of the currently valid banknote series of the National Bank of Ukraine will be accepted. The exchange into euro will be carried out at the exchange rate announced on the Bundesbank's website ( )

The exchange is recorded in an online application provided by the European Central Bank to ensure that the individual maximum exchange amount is not exceeded. The identity of each adult refugee wishing to participate in the exchange is recorded and verified. The documents that are also accepted for the opening of a basic bank account by refugees from the Ukraine are accepted (see FAQ list "Bank account/Health insurance"). For the time being, the exchange is possible for three months.

Further information can be obtained from all banks and savings banks participating in the exchange programme.

As of 1 June 2022, the responsibility for Ukrainian refugees will change from the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act (Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz) to the Municipal Centre for Labour (Kommunales Center für Arbeit) (Social Code II) or the Office for Social Promotion and Participation (Amt für soziale Förderung und Teilhabe/Sozialamt) (Social Code XII). For the time being, those who have not yet reached German retirement age are the responsibility of the Municipal Centre for Labour. This applies to the majority of Ukrainian refugees. For those who have reached the appropriate age, the Office for Social Promotion and Participation is responsible.

Application: Anyone who registers as a Ukrainian refugee in Germany after 1 June 2022 has to apply directly for benefits if they have no financial means of their own. For this purpose, there is a joint online application by the Municipal Centre for Employment (KCA) and the Office for Social Promotion and Participation especially for people from Ukraine who are affected, i.e. regardless of age and individual backgrounds. The people themselves do not have to specify which legal group they belong to - it is sufficient to simply submit an application. The competent institution will then take care of it automatically. Ukrainian refugees who are already receiving benefits under the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act before 1 June 2022 will be contacted by the office responsible for them and will be informed about all the further steps they need to take.

Health Insurance & Bank Account: In order for the KCA and the Office for Social Promotion and Participation to grant benefits to Ukrainian refugees, it is strongly recommended that persons affected open a German bank account. If the Municipal Centre for Labour is responsible, persons need to choose a statutory health insurance provider so that they can benefit from full medical care without financial risks. The choice of health insurance is completely free; upon request, the KCA Job Centre will hand out lists of possible health insurance companies. If the Office for Social Promotion and Participation is responsible, people can be registered automatically with a health insurance provider.

Counselling: The Municipal Centre for Employment (KCA) provides mobile counselling teams in the shared accommodation for Ukrainian refugees. These teams offer on-site group information as well as individual counselling. In this context, an initial assessment also takes place, in which KCA employees find out what vocational and other skills each person has, as well as what wishes, ideas and interests they have.

Measures / support: The Municipal Centre for Employment (KCA) is currently developing orientation programmes and training courses especially for Ukrainian refugees, in cooperation with the Association for Work, Qualification and Training (AQA), also owned by the district. You can find out more in a consultation with your contact person at the KCA.

Taking up employment: as a matter of principle, Ukrainian refugees have unrestricted access to the German labour market. They can, for example, start an apprenticeship or take up employment subject to social insurance contributions without any special requirements. The KCA Job Centre advises and finds suitable jobs in the region. Companies wishing to fill vacancies specifically with Ukrainian refugees can contact Erika Kollmann by email at AMIP-Ukraine@kca-mkk.deund by phone at 06051 974141910.

Further support services: For Ukrainian refugees, there are a variety of additional, specialised support services available, which are coordinated by the Municipal Centre for Employment (KCA) and the Office for Social Promotion and Participation. These services include, for example, trauma therapy, addiction counselling, childcare counselling, nursing counselling and much more.

If you intend to move to the Main-Kinzig-Kreis, you need to consider the following items:

  • In general, a move is not possible unless you have the prior approval of the Main-Kinzig-Kreis.
  • For a move to the Main-Kinzig-Kreis, permanent accommodation has to be guaranteed.
  • Please send your relocation request with all available attachments to

If you are not yet registered in the Main-Kinzig district and do not have permanent accommodation, please contact the central Hessian initial reception centre in Gießen first (Ankunftszentrum Gießen, Lilienthalstraße 2, 35394 Gießen). For further information click here: Aktuelles zur Aufnahme von Flüchtlingen aus der Ukraine | Regierungspräsidium Gießen . This is where you can also indicate your connection to the Main-Kinzig-Kreis. For example, that a family member lives in the district. This will be taken into account accordingly in the further allocation by the state of Hesse.

Please note: As of 1 June, some legal changes come into force for the care and support of Ukrainian displaced persons. In future, social benefits will be applied for directly via the application for registration. For those who have already registered previously, you will automatically receive mail with further information about what may still be required from you. Up until 31 May, the following applies: If social benefits are needed or if you have questions about them, you may contact us by mail at or via the Ukrainehilfe telephone number 06051-8518000. Appropriate information can also be noted during the initial registration at the Foreigners' Registration Office (see Initial Registration until 31 May).

The Consulate General in Frankfurt can be reached by phone at 069 29720920 or by email at

From 1 June 2022, Ukrainian refugees will need to be covered by health insurance in order to continue receiving care and support. Further information is available during registration or automatically by postal mail for all those who are already registered.

The Main-Kinzig-Kreis can provide further assistance if questions arise regarding medical care, preferably by sending an email to Short-term advice can be obtained by telephone via 116 117. In urgent cases, dial the emergency number 112.

In larger central accommodations, medical consultations and initial consultations are held for the people on site. Appointments and further information are available directly at the accommodations.

>> Information on health in several languages

People who are living with HIV or are undergoing opioid substitution therapy may find more information (in German, Ukrainian and Russian) on the website of Deutsche Aidshilfe: Україна: допомога біженцям | Deutsche Aidshilfe

>>Vaccination calendar in ukranian (PDF)

The Main-Kinzig-Kreis has created a standard procedure for refugees to be tested for the Corona virus after their arrival, provided they are received and accommodated by the district. They can get vaccinated against Corona in the initial accommodation, as well as in doctor's surgeries and vaccination centres. On >>Impfung - Dein Pflaster there are the necessary vaccination documents with information on vaccination in Ukrainian. The addresses and opening hours of the vaccination centres can also be found there.

The vaccines CoronaVac from Sinovac, Covilo from Sinopharm, and Covaxin from Bharat Biotech International Ltd. as well as Sputnik V from Gamelaya are not licensed in the EU. For people who have been fully immunised against the coronavirus with one of these vaccines (twice or with a booster vaccination already), the German Standing Commission on Vaccination (Stiko) recommends a single vaccination with an mRNA vaccine at an interval of at least three months after the last vaccination. The mRNA vaccines licensed in the EU are Comirnaty by Biontech (also for children five years and older) and Spikevax by Moderna (Stiko recommendation: 30 years and older).

For people who have only received one dose of one of the above-mentioned vaccines not licensed in the EU, the Stiko recommends a new vaccination series with basic vaccination and booster vaccination. This also applies to persons who have received another vaccine not licensed in the EU.

Refugees from Ukraine can use all buses and trains of the local public transport system (ÖPNV) free of charge. In the RMV area (Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund). This applies to all local trains, i.e. suburban trains, regional trains and regional express trains as well as to the underground, trams and buses. A valid Ukrainian identity document is accepted as a ticket. For an onward journey on long-distance trains, the >>helpukraine ticket of Deutsche Bahn is available.

What do I have to consider when entering Germany with a dog, cat or ferret?
Dogs, cats and ferrets are only allowed to enter Germany if they have been vaccinated against rabies and this has been confirmed by a blood test (titer determination) and thus a valid vaccination protection exists. In order to be able to clearly identify the animals, they must be marked with a corresponding microchip under the skin, which can be read with a scanner. The chip number has to be entered in the vaccination certificate.

For the time being, the conditions for entry from the Ukraine have been eased, so that at present it is not necessary to determine the titer of animals that have been verifiably vaccinated.

Nevertheless, please register your animal with the Office of Veterinary Affairs and Consumer Protection (Veterinary Office).: >> registration form .

My dog, cat, ferret has not been vaccinated or I cannot prove valid vaccination protection (no microchip, no vaccination certificate) - what do I have to do?
The animal must be reported to and registered with the Office of Veterinary Affairs and Consumer Protection (Veterinary Office). There are relevant papers to be filled out for this purpose: >>registration form . The Veterinary Office will make sure that the animal is uniquely marked with a microchip, arrange for the issuing of a pet passport in which the microchip number is entered, and arrange for the rabies vaccination so that the animal and its owner are protected. For the time being, this will not result in any costs for you.

My animal has been chipped and vaccinated on entry/arrival - what happens next?
Rabies is a fatal disease which can affect both animals and humans. It is not curable. The incubation period (time from infection to outbreak of the disease) can be very long (up to three months). The symptoms can be very weak until shortly before the animal dies, so that the owners of the animals do not realise anything about it, but are in great danger.

Unfortunately, Ukraine is not yet free of rabies like Germany. Therefore, it can never be entirely excluded that pets have been infected with rabies in Ukraine.

A vaccination is only fully effective after 21 days. Therefore, animals that have entered the country without verifiable vaccination protection and were only vaccinated upon entry must be quarantined for 21 days.

How does quarantine work for my pet?
When accommodated in a group accommodation, your animal can usually be accommodated in the very same compartment with you or in a nearby quarantine container. In rare cases (e.g. if keeping animals in the accommodation is not allowed and/or no container is available), your animal has to be accommodated in a shelter or boarding kennel for the duration of the quarantine. In any case, you will receive your animal back after 21 days. You can be clearly identified as the owner by the chip and chip number in the pet passport. During the stay in the quarantine facility, the animal will be cared for, fed and, if necessary, treated by a veterinarian.

If the refugees are not Ukrainian nationals, they are not formally admitted as war displaced persons, but can be accepted as asylum seekers at the initial reception center in Gießen (Gießen arrival center, Lilienthalstraße 2, 35394 Gießen; more information: Aktuelles zur Aufnahme von Flüchtlingen aus der Ukraine | Regierungspräsidium Gießen ( ).

To register your child or children for school, please contact the Admissions and Counseling Center of the State Education Authorities (Staatliches Schulamt), phone 06181 9062 343, or email

The State Education Authorities offer further information on support for immigrant families and refugees.

The Hessian State Government is helping to ensure that Ukrainian children and juveniles who have fled receive learning offerings at school as quickly as possible .

To register your child or children to attend kindergarten, please contact the relevant municipal or city administration of your current residence. Here you will find information on the cities and municipalities in the Main-Kinzig-Kreis .

Measles vaccination: Children attending kindergarten or school have to provide proof that they have been fully vaccinated against measles. Alternatively, they have to prove by a medical certificate that they have already had the disease.

Ukrainian children under 6 years of age whose vaccine protection is unclear or whose vaccination cannot be proven by a vaccination certificate ought to be vaccinated against measles at least once. Only then can they go to a child-care institution.

For the time being, school-age Ukrainian children are allowed to go to school without a proven measles vaccination, but the vaccination should be given as soon as possible.

Further information on measles and the measles vaccination is provided by the Federal Centre for Health Education in Ukrainian

 Contact to Main-Kinzig-Kreis


Fon: 06051 85-18000

Contact with people in Ukraine

Consulate General in Frankfurt


phone: 069 29720920